Diminished Value Of Texas  
  HomeWhat is Diminished Value?FAQFees & ServicesLinksContact Us  


The other driverís insurance company may ask you to sign a release to settle your claim and forgo future claims related to the accident. Donít sign a release until you are satisfied with the total settlement. Get a letter from your doctor estimating the cost and length of your future medical treatment. You might want to consult an attorney before accepting a settlement. Under Texas law, you have two years after an accident to either settle your claim or file a lawsuit.

Texas law prohibits insurance companies from delaying payment of a claim in order to pressure you to sign a release. If you believe an insurance company is delaying payment to pressure you, file a complaint with TDI.

If the other driver denies fault, his or her insurance company may refuse to pay the claim. Independent witnesses could make a difference in getting the company to pay. Itís important to get names, addresses, and telephone numbers of any witnesses to the accident. Make sure the insurance company knows about the witnesses. If the company continues to refuse to pay the claim, you can file a claim against your own insurance or you may have to go to court to resolve the issue.

Before filing a claim with your company, ask your agent or your companyís underwriting department how a claim might affect your rates on renewal. A company cannot refuse to renew your policy solely because you had one accident in a 12-month period that was not your fault. However, if the accident affected your DPS driving record, your company may consider it in determining your rates, whether you filed a claim for the accident or not.

Provided by the Texas Department of Insurance https://www.tdi.state.tx.us/pubs/consumer/cb020.html

Diminished Value of Texas 7804 Llano Avenue
Fort Worth, TX 76116
(817) 455-2263 Legal Disclaimer